A Double Celebration for Restaurateurs - Chef Philip Chiang and his mother Chef Cecilia Chiang
It's a double celebration for restaurateurs Philip Chiang and his mother Cecilia Chiang.
P.F. Chang's China Bistro, the Asian-themed restaurant chain was co-founded by Philip Chiang twenty years ago. To celebrate, Chiang has unveiled a new Chef's Summer Cuisine menu.
Chef Philip Chiang has continued to develop innovative Asian-inspired cuisine offerings as a culinary consultant to the chain he co-founded to ensure its original vision since its sale to Centerbridge Partners LP last year reportedly in a transaction valued at $1.1 Billion.
If you can't wait to taste Chef Chiang's new cuisine offerings, head over to P.F. Chang's China Bistro at the Irvine Spectrum in Irvine, California. The Irvine location is the first in the nation to premiere the new menu items and new look.
Chef Philip Chiang's culinary talents in classic and innovative fine Chinese cuisine goes back to his mother, Cecilia Chiang, a pioneer in her own right. Both Philip and his mother Cecilia are natives of Shanghai, lived in Tokyo, and relocated to San Francisco.
Mrs. Chiang, now 94, was the founder and chef of the upscale Mandarin Restaurant in San Francisco which she managed from the early 1960's until 1991. Chiang's mother was honored this month with a Lifetime Achievement Award at the James Beard Foundation Awards in New York City.
A new documentary about Cecilia Chiang The Soul of a Banquet directed by Wayne Wang (Joy Luck Club, Last Holiday) premiered at a screening sponsored by the San Francisco Film Society last month. In addition to Wayne Wang's documentary, here is another video Tribute to Cecilia Chiang produced for the 2013 Pebble Beach Food and Wine Festival.
The new menu at P.F. Chang's China Bistro highlights wine pairings with new menu items using light, fresh ingredients such as heirloom tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, mango, and pears.
- Peking Duck Summer Rolls—Duck salad with julienne green papaya, snow peas and carrots wrapped in rice paper, served with a mango jalapeno vinaigrette. Suggested wine pairing: Coppo Barbera d’ Asti
- Summer Vegetable Quinoa “Fried Rice”—Wok-toasted quinoa with summer sunburst squash, mango, tomatoes and snow peas, topped with a sunny side egg. Suggested wine pairing: MacMurray Ranch Pinot Noir
Grilled Swordfish with Pineapple Chutney—Asian-spiced line-caught sushi-grade swordfish served over a chilled rice and summer vegetable salad with black garlic aioli and a pineapple-pear chutney. Suggested wine pairing: Patz & Hall Chardonnay
- Grilled Prawns with Red Curry Peanut Noodles—Grilled Southeast Asian prawns with chilled noodles, shaved snow peas, bean sprouts, carrots, cilantro and lime in a red curry-peanut sauce. Suggested wine pairing: Laurenz and Sophie, Grüner Veltliner
- Korean BBQ Chicken Stir-Fry—Korean-style chicken stir-fry with red peppers, onions and green beans in a sweet, spicy red chili sauce topped with a refreshing summer kimchi slaw. Suggested wine pairing: Boutari Moschofilero
- Heirloom Tomato & Thai Basil Salad—A starter salad with a refreshing summer selection of heirloom tomatoes and avocado, finished with Thai Basil and a zesty Asian ponzu dressing. Suggested wine pairing: Frog’s Leap Sauvignon Blanc
- California Roll—Crab salad, cucumber, avocado and sesame seasoned rice rolled-to-order. Suggested wine pairing: Mumm Napa Brut
- Spicy Tuna Roll—Spicy Ahi tuna, cucumber, daikon sprouts and sesame-seasoned rice rolled-to-order. Suggested wine pairing: Essence Riesling
In addition to the eight new food items, there are two new seasonal cocktails:
- Long Island Tequila Tea—Featuring 1800 Silver, Reposado and Añejo Tequilas shaken with fresh sour mix and topped with Coca-Cola
- Long Island Rum Tea—With Cruzan Mango, Guava and Aged Light Rums with fresh sour mix and a splash of cranberry